Joint Paranormal Fantasy Early Review: The Singer by Elizabeth Hunter

The Singer by Elizabeth Hunter (Irin Chronicles #2)


Ecopy thanks to the author

Synopsis from Goodreads
When you've lost everything you love, how do you fight the darkness?

Ava left Istanbul with a new identity, new name, and new magic she could barely control. Laid low by Malachi's sacrifice, she searches for help from the fabled Irina. But will the secretive women of the Irin race welcome or shun her? Ava's origins are still a mystery, and her powers are darker than any they've encountered before.

The Irin world hangs in the balance. And as the children of angels battle their own demons, ancient rivalries among the Fallen threaten to wreak havoc on earth.

Thousand of miles away, a warrior wakes with no memory of his identity or his people. Stumbling though the dark and twisted schemes of fallen angels, ravenous Grigori, and even his own leaders, he must find a way back to the one thing he remembers. A single voice calls him. Malachi has one mission.

"Come back to me."

THE SINGER is the second book in the Irin Chronicles, a contemporary fantasy series from Elizabeth Hunter, author of the Elemental Mysteries.
 


Release date: May 6th 2014.

Amazon  US | Amazon kindle US/UK

8.5/10

8/10

* * *
Karina:
I loved The Singer even more than The Scribe. If the first book was tentative and spent a lot of time establishing the world-building, in the second book Elizabeth started spreading her wings. Her world expanded, her secondary characters multiplied and the plot thickened.

Paranormal fantasy is the right genre to describe this book. It's not straightforward enough to be paranormal romance and it's not as full of action as urban fantasy. Instead, it follows the route Elizabeth established in her Elemental World series - a variety of characters and settings; and I have to say I am loving the angels intrigues here. Loving it.


Vika:
I’m sad to say it K., but I didn’t love it as much as the first. I find angels very tricky in general, though Elizabeth truly amazed me with The Scribe – I absolutely adored it and I was eagerly anticipating The Singer ever since. Perhaps my expectations were set too high? I don’t know, but I wanted more from this follow-up novel. In fact, some structural elements reminded me of another series, and I couldn’t shake off the comparison. Nonetheless, Elizabeth’s writing is far superior and The Singer serves well in setting the stage for the next big act, which undoubtedly will bring on the fireworks.

Karina:
Although you are certainly right about this series reminding us both of BDB, I would say it's only in very broad terms, Vika. It's like this is an amalgam of good parts of paranormal romance as a genre. I don't know, but after getting burned on J.R. Ward, Gena Showalter and Lara Adrian, I don't see the same triggers I had issues with before here. *grinning* Thank God, otherwise I'd have to disown Elizabeth!

Overall, this is a good mix of paranormal romance and urban fantasy with its own fascinating mythology and a whole world as a playground for its heroes and heroines. So what if the bad (and good) guys can turn into dust? We had no problem with that in Buffy. The angels angle (pardon the pan) also reminded me more of angels from Supernatural than anything else. What do you think, V.?

Vika:
All great points K.! (I mean, who can argue against Buffy, right?)

And for the record, no one’s disowning anyone! I swear! *laughing* I should probably clarify my earlier comment. I first discovered Elizabeth’s books a couple years back and since then she’s become one of my favorite authors; I respect and admire her. So, my comment is in a way a compliment (a convoluted one, I know, but… just go with it) – I expect nothing but the best from her books: great writing, strong and independent heroines, and worthy heroes – and this series certainly got them. But what was up with the strong and independent woman we’ve come to know in the first book? She’s suddenly become bratty, needy, whiny, and unappreciative. Of course reasons behind it can be explained, but I really hoped she would handle it better and channel her grief differently.

Otherwise, it was a great story. The supporting cast really shined through, and as for the angels… their time is still to come. I’m very much fascinated by the mythology as well, K. and can’t wait to see what this brewing war among the Fallen will bring.

Karina:
Ava definitely went through major mood swings, but I would chalk it down to not only being incapacitated by her grief, but not having the need to take care of herself (which would have made her pull herself together quicker) with Damien and Sari's safe heaven's help as well. I believe she'll become more and more kick-ass as the series progresses.

All in all, a lovely, invigorating second installment in a fascinating new series. Definitely recommended. 8.5/10 from me.

Vika:
I really hope so, K.! I need kick-ass Ava back. But I agree, this is a strong second book and I'm dying to get my hands on the next installment - 8/10 from me. Read it guys!

* * *

Карина:
Ещё с первой книги серии мне было ясно, что история будет отличной, и Элизабет в этом плане меня не подвела. Принимая эстафету от Лары Адриан, Джены Шоволтер и Дж.Р. Уорд, Мисс Хантер создала сбалансированную смесь паранормального романа и городского фэнтези, но без тех моментов, что у вышеупомянутых авторов меня безумно раздражали.

Мифология у неё вышла очень интересной, и, если судить по прогрессу героини в Элементарном Мире, Ава со временем и практикой превратится в такую же крутую и мощную героиню, что и Беатрис. Ангелы и их интриги мне вообще напомнили сериал Сверхъестественное. Как ты думаешь, Вика?

Вика:
Честно скажу что я немного разочарована. Мне хотелось чего-то большего и особенного от этого романа, а он напротив, напомнил мне о другой известной серии романов из этого же жанра. Но, не поймите меня неправильно, я так говорю только потому, что привыкла ожидать только самые замечательные книги от Мисс Хантер, и мой комментарий выше -  в каком-то смысле комплимент, так же как и мои мелкие претензии к событиям этого романа, да и к самой героине.

Как вторая книга серии, Певица - совсем неплохой роман. Он создает прекрасный переход для следующего акта, который несомненно будет ярким и захватывающим. Мифология и построение этого мира действительно интересны, и я не могу не согласиться с твоей рецензией, Карина.


Карина:
Однако я понимаю и твою точку зрения, Вика. Да, то что и злодеи и герои рассыпаются в пепел при смерти, напоминает о серии Уорд да и и о сериале про Баффи. Да, Ава в этой книге практически не делает ничего кроме как оплакивает Малачи. Однако, с первым элементом сжиться легко, а второй элемент я могу понять как часть человеческой натуры - сильным женщинам легко сломаться когда о них кто-то заботится во время горя. Здесь эту заботу на себя принял Дэймон и убежище его жены в Норвегии.

Что направляет меня к ещё одному элементу, который приводит меня в восторг - мне очень нравится, что герои Мисс Хантер путешествуют по всему миру, не ограничивая себя катастрофами местного масштаба.

Вика:
Карина, мне тоже очень нравится этот аспект книги. Европейские страны, по которым путешествуют герои романа, тоже добавляют изюминку к происходящим событиям, не говоря уже об истории и мифологии, связанных с ними. Я давно заметила, что Мисс Хантер превосходно совмещает мифологию, историю и красочных персонажей в своих романах, и Певица (да и предыдущий роман серии) прекрасный этого пример. Так что, несмотря на все мои придирки и недовольство, связанное с поведением героини романа, я несомненно рекомендую читать этот роман - 8/10 от меня.

А теперь остается лишь с нетерпением ждать продолжения...

Карина:
Я тоже с большим нетерпением ожидаю продолжения, Вика. Книга читается очень легко и быстро затягивает. От неё также остаётся впечатление затишья перед штормом, которым окажется грядущая война между падшими ангелами. Зная мисс Хантер, от событий в последующих книгах мне только и останется, что и облизывать пальчики. Очень рекомендую. От меня - 8.5/10.

Comments